Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"The day Archer was born..."

I didn't become a blogger until last summer, so I am going to post my sister's post about the day Archer was born. Hope you enjoy...I have been remembering those days with longing, realizing that he is very possibly my last baby, and that it has flown by WAY too fast!

So I know these pictures are long overdue, but here it is, the story of Archer's birthday from start to finish! First of all, mom, Trish, and I had to be at UAB at 5:30 AM. We arrived promptly, shortly after a questionable and possibly dangerous stop at the Pilot Truck Stop on Finley Ave. (This pregnant girl's gotta eat!) Anyway, upon arrival and check-in we find out that all of the pre-op labs Trisha had drawn were going to have to be redrawn and sent. So this leads to our first long wait(of many). They take Trisha back and leave mom and I in a nearby waiting room. About an hour later they tell us we can go visit Trisha one at a time. Mom went first for about 30 minutes. At this point it is around 7:00. I finally go back and poor Trisha is sitting on this ridiculous stretcher whose mattress looks like a puzzle with so many separate pieces that it was impossible not to fall into the cracks. I will not insert a pic b/c I don't think she wants that image surfing around the internet. Anyway, a friend of mine happened through the operating room, and I asked her what the hold up was b/c the admitting nurse gave us the impression that we would be seeing the baby in about 1 hour(now it is approximately 8:00). She told me that Dr Joiner(Trisha's doctor) was in L & D waiting for a patient to deliver and then after that she had to go see a patient in a clinic at the VA hospital and that then she would be back to do Trisha's c-section. GRRRRRRRR! We were already anxious and then all of this waiting. So long story short, 4 and 1/2 hours after we got there, Baby Archer was born at a healthy 8 pounds 9 ounces at exactly 9:52 AM!

I got to go in the operating room and take pictures! This is his first one and boy did he come out screaming! He looks just like Ava in this picture. I got to go into her delivery too and got almost the same shot.
This picture was just seconds later on the bed. He cleaned right up. He also pinked right up too which is a great sign. His apgars were 9 and 9 for all of you medical personnel out there.
This is his first picture after his first bath. I got to give him his first bath! That's just one of the perks of working here! Cool huh?!? These pictures taken during this time were the only ones with eyes open for about the first 3 days.

This is the first picture of mommy and baby when she returned from surgery. So sweet!


  1. looks like a little screamer :)

  2. Oh what memories! It took over 4 hours to get him here but what a great thing to wait for!!!